Spring is finally showing up here on the East Coast, and while we soak in the longer days of sun and the warmth on our skin, the nights still hold the chill of the previous season that has left us.
This brings light comfort food to mind.
When the evening gets darker and the temperatures plummet, the warmth of comfort food sounds divine — especially sweet gooey comfort food. I’m not talking middle of the winter-hearty stews or spicy chili.
I’m talking about Chocolate Chip Cookies.
When you mention chocolate chip cookies, everyone seems to have a preference for what makes one perfect. The size, the consistency, whether they are soft and warm or firm and snappy — opinions abound on what makes one just right. Some people use chocolate chips, some use chocolate chunks. Some won’t touch a cookie in which the eggs haven’t come to room temperature before all the magic happens.
I want to share my go-to recipe — the one that never disappoints my family — in hopes that you enjoy this little taste of my home brought to your own.
I’d love to hear how they turn out — Leave me a comment on what you think or what your own chocolate chip cookie secrets are! Enjoy!
Mama’s Custom Chocolate Chip Cookies
Ingredients: 2 cups all-purpose flour, 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 3/4 cup melted unsalted butter, 1 packed cup of light brown sugar, 1/2 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon vanilla extract, 2 eggs, 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips.
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Mix together the flour, baking soda and salt and set aside for later.
3. In a large bowl mix together the melted butter, brown sugar, sugar, vanilla, and eggs until well blended. The mixture should be a light cream color with a smooth consistency.
4. Add in the flour, baking soda and salt until fully combined.
5. By hand, stir in the semi-sweet chocolate chips.
6. Drop a rounded teaspoon of dough onto your cookie tray leaving approx. 2 inches for spreading while baking.
7. Bake for 8 to 10 mins until lightly golden brown.
8. Allow to cool slightly then remove from cookie tray to cooling rack.
9. Pour a cup of milk and enjoy Mama’s Custom Chocolate Chip Cookies!